S. Thomas' Preparatory School was founded by Mr. William Thomas Keble on Tuesday May 17, 1938 at 8:45 a.m. at "Fortrose", 98, Steuart Place, Kollupitiya. Eighty-one years ago. S. Thomas' Preparatory School, Kollupitiya, has since sought to uphold the cause of true education, and done all it can, to make a worthy contribution to enrich the life of our land.
The founder's memory is enshrined in a lasting manner in the standing of the school, it's influence for good, its moral tone, its unwritten code of conduct and its scholarship. The School is an Anglican (Church of Ceylon) educational institution.
The School has over the years shed its preparatory school character, and In its present form, the institution provides education exclusively in the Sinhala and Tamil media up to the G.C.E. (Ordinary Level) in conformity with the educational policy of the State. It also provides a bi-lingual medium of instruction from middle school onwards for selected subjects.
However, it is a private fee levying institution that is financially independent of all State control and is managed by a board of governors established by law as contained in the S. Thomas' College Board of Governors Ordinance No.7 of 1930. The Bishop of Colombo is the Chairman of the Board and thus retains the connection between the Church of Ceylon and the school.
The current headmaster is Rev. Dushantha L. Rodrigo, who assumed duties on 1 January 2015, and was officially inducted as Headmaster of the school on 26 January 2015, at a special ceremony held at the school premises.
Rev. Dushantha Rodrigo has taken the initiative to develop and improve the school infrastructure, curriculum and overall student performance from the inception of his tenure and works closely and in tandem with the old boys fraternity and parents alike. The proactive stance taken by Rev. Dushantha in the school development process together with the Old Boys Union, has been a key factor in the successful completion of many noteworthy projects and the continuing success of the ongoing development process.
Presently, the student population numbers over 1000 pupils on roll with a staff of over 80. As the institution celebrates its eighty-first year of providing a sound education to boys of all ethnic and religious backgrounds, it is certainly a far cry from the little school which began with less than 100 students and 10 teachers. The school continues to nurture, train and equip students to face the multitude of challenges which confront them in a society which has altered radically from its relatively halcyon past. It thus plays a vibrant and meaningful part in the nation's progress, as it has always done during its brief but illustrious history.